Monday, January 17, 2011

There have been several blood draws since my last post, and the consensus is that nothing is happening quite yet. I have had transfusions of platelets and red cells which boost the numbers only temporarily but by body has not shown an ability to produce on it's own. Hopefully a few small adjustments to medication will ignite a spark and we'll start to see even the smallest improvement.
Here were the latest numbers as of Friday Jan, 14. See my previous post for normal ranges (remember the Hemoglobin and Hematocrit are up only because of a recent transfusion):

Hemoglobin: 6.7

Hematocrit: 19.5

Platelets: 6,000

Meanwhile, I need to thank you for your prayers for patience as much as anything else, because waiting is hard. I am not a sit and stay type person, and resting is a learned activity for me. With thoughts of work and contributing to society simmering on the back burner, I need to release my agenda and allow myself to heal in whatever time it requires.

I have been so grateful however for the time I've been able to spend with my wife and daughters. Usually my family is widowed from November to February for the high school wrestling season, but I have never watched so many dance classes, had so many coffee dates, or seen so many basketball games as I have this winter. I am truly grateful for the time I have had with my girls and with Kelly.

I do believe that God had my best in mind recently when he did not allow the Oregon Ducks to beat Auburn in the national title game. Putting up with "Duck fan" is bad enough without them winning a BCS game.

Thank you all for your continued thoughts and prayers through this battle.

Not a verse today, but an older song lyric by Stephen Curtis Chapman:

"His strength is perfect when our strength is gone."

No comments:

Post a Comment